The Running Flax

Thursday, April 12, 2007

Did a brick and I'm drowning slowly

Alma has been working on an "indoor triathlon" at her gym - 2 miles running, 10 miles biking, and 12 laps in the pool. I did the first two parts - known for whatever reason as a "brick," or so she tells me - today, as a measure of solidarity. I felt pretty good afterwards and my pulse never topped 150 or so, which is good news; when I first started trying to run again, I would soar up around 180, which is more than a bit fast, so it appears I'm managing to regain (or just gain) some fitness.

For the record, I did the two miles in 31:05 - it was one mile walking and one mile running (broken up, not straight-up consecutive like that) - and the bike in 27:48, for a total time of 58:53. Considering I had conservatively estimated my time up around 70 minutes beforehand, I think that's pretty good - even more so considering I felt fine afterwards (and even did 20 reps of chest press with 17.5-lb dumbbells). We'll see how I feel in the morning, of course, but I think I stretched pretty well this time.

(As far as the title of this entry, that's what I hope won't happen when I try working the swimming in, perhaps in the next week or two.)


|