The Running Flax

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Ow.

Did my ambition outstrip my physical capacities? The thing to note here is that my Achilles went nuts after my second run two months ago, too. I think they're just not used to this kind of workout. Alma suggested a modification to the schedule that throws in a day of walking, something more like:

Day 1: Run
Day 2: Weights
Day 3: Rest
Day 4: Walk
Day 5: Run
Day 6: Weights
Day 7: Rest

Might help a little, at least. I only got about 2/3 of a mile today before my Achilles, especially the right one, felt ready to give out. That, of course, is no good. I'm not really sure what to do on this front - the Achilles derailed me last time, and I don't want them to do it again. But by the end of the run today I physically could not keep running - too much soreness in the right one.

Walking will have to be part of the answer, though it takes much longer to go as far and I'm never going to lose five pounds a month walking. Maybe I should do the weight tape three days a week, rest two, and try and run/walk two. For a start, anyway; eventually my Achilles have to stop giving me this much trouble once they get used to things. I really, really hope.


|