The Running Flax

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Today's map:

http://www.mapmyrun.com/view_route.php?r=291ed47d1e06f6e94cffe9abb89bad59

I tried to push myself a bit, and so ran nonstop from Cornelia to Irving Park (about five full blocks) and then again from just below Buena to just above Addison (another five full blocks or so). That equals about 1.25 miles of running with only a small break between them (a quarter-mile walk). Of course, by the time I neared Addison my legs were absolute jelly, though I still made my goal of reaching the ped tunnel (at which point I flopped down onto the stairs there and had to sit for almost five minutes). All told I did about a third of a mile more than the previous two outings and felt comparatively fine when I got home, so the stamina seems to be building. The legs are still getting there, but the lungs and heart seem to be handling things pretty well. I sat down briefly to get my heart rate at Irving Park and clocked it at 180 over the first 10-15 seconds but receding to 150 over the course of a full minute. Obviously that's not great based on my supposed "target heart rate" (180 is pretty high), but then I am significantly out of shape and overweight. We're working on that, I think.


|