The Running Flax

Sunday, June 04, 2006

Weight, weight, don't tell me

My legs were still too sore to consider another run today, but I never really got a chance to go for a walk, so instead I did a twelve-exercise program on a DVD of Alma's called "Shaping Up with Weights for Dummies." The video is clearly aimed at an audience of housewives, but it seems fairly effective. I think I'm going to borrow it from Alma and also pick up some weights at Target tomorrow - a smallish set if possible, that goes up to maybe 30 pounds or so (which ought to be plenty for a while). Running will ultimately be the most helpful thing, I think, but it's nice to combine that with other stuff, especially on days when I'm not really up for a run (or if it's raining or whatever). An ideal schedule would probably look something like this:

Day One: Run
Day Two: Weights
Day Three: Off
Day Four: Run
Day Five: Weights
Day Six: Run
Day Seven: Off

That's just a rough estimate, and I don't know that I'll be able to do something five of seven days just yet, but it's something to shoot for, at least.

In the meantime, I'm adding a counter/schedule to the side of the page. You'll see what it looks like. We may finally be getting serious here.


|